Blades cut Cherries off the top

Sheffield United take top spot while AFC Bournemouth drop 4 places suffering their second defeat in as many games.

The Yorkshire side brought the game to Dean Court and their physical approach proved too much for the home side after a first half goal from Jamie Murphy.

The Cherries started brightly with good dominant passing play, however this was not a sign of things to come, as shortly after Sheffield United had the games first attempt.

A defensive error from Seabourne left Robson unmarked for a 25 yard volley, beating the keeper but not the overhead.

On the counter Bournemouth striker Eunan O’Kane made a darting run to feed Grabban for an excellent shot, matched by an equally good save.

Arter notched the home side’s second shot, and their last on target from the resulting corner, marking the start of a more physical game from Sheffield United.

The visitors ground themselves in to the game, outplaying the Cherries on the ball and forcing the errors when not in possession. The home side’s long ball tactics were easily matched by the two giant Blades centre halves.

The home fans grew restless as our tactics were easily matched by the visitor’s and the referee made some dubious calls against Bournemouth.

A period of attacking dominance from Sheffield ended in the only goal of the game, a defensive comedy of errors ended in a saved Murphy shot being returned past Jalal and into the back of the net.

The half was played out in dismal fashion by the home side, still unsuccessfully lofting balls over the top only for the slight Grabban to be beaten by the colossal pairing of Maguire and Collins.

Half time saw Eddie Howe remove left back painter and bring on McQuoid, dropping Ritchie to the full back position while Blades manager Wilson made no changes.

The second half went much the same way with slightly more attacking play along the floor but the final ball was lacking or taking the ariel route and cleared.

More changes for the home side ensued as Pitman made way for a Frazer debut and Tubbs came off for Grabban, two like for like substitutions, both losing stature.

The changes allowed Sheffield United to continue in the same vein as they had done the previous 73 minutes and unsurprisingly they continued to dominate.

The only real chance of not was a near Maguire own goal as he sliced a Matt Ritchie cross onto the roof of the Blades net, the only real panic moment for the travelling Blades supporters.

The game ended 0 – 1 and the home sides play was reminiscent of the Groves era panic play which had Cherries sitting in the bottom four until the return of Eddie Howe.

In the first home league defeat since his return to the club Howe (speaking to the Echo) admitted that the team lacked that attacking spark and hoped this blip would not continue into Tuesday night’s game, away to Coventry.

The drama continued after the game as Blades boss Wilson accused Cherries striker Brett Pitman of simulation after he was seen to be pushed over off the ball by a Blades centre half, Pitman however responded that the accusations were nonsense and that it was the unsporting behaviour of Wilson’s own players.

Main image credit:

Leave a Reply
Related Posts