Picture courtesy of Kevin MacLeod via incompetech.com
Two Wimborne fire crews have put out a chimney fire in the Witchampton area, after being alerted to it just after 3am this morning.
Firefighters had to gain access to the chimney via brickwork from the first floor bedroom and used chimney rods and a chimney kit to extinguish the fire.
Crews remained on the scene until 6am.
With Bournemouth’s fireplaces likely to be used frequently during the current chilly winter weather, here are Dorset Fire and Rescue Service’s top tips on how to prevent chimney fires:
- Keep your chimney clean. This will prevent fires and structural damage to your property, and will help the environment by ensuring the complete combustion of your fuel, therefore reducing your chimney’s emissions into the atmosphere.
- Fireguards and spark guards can also prevent serious fires from breaking out.
- Only using a vacuum cleaner is not sufficient to fully clean the chimney. Your chimney flue must be inspected regularly to prevent fire.
- Chimneys using smokeless fuels, bituminous coal, oil or gas must be swept at least once a year. Chimneys using wood must be swept every three months whilst in use.
- Don’t use flammable liquids like petrol or paraffin to light your fire.
- Don’t overload the fire with fuel, or burn paper or rubbish.
- Go into the loft occasionally when the fire is lit to ensure no smoke is escaping from any cracks, defective brickwork or mortar joints.
If the worst does happen and fire breaks out:
- Dial 999 and ask for the Fire Service.
- Alert anyone else in the house.
- Leave the room, close the door behind you and wait for the Fire Brigade to arrive.